Sunday, March 1, 2009

All Decade Team: Deirdre's Picks

So I should have been the first person to whip these out, because I have to admit, while there is a little room for argument...really most of these are blatantly obvious and have already been picked.  So no earth shattering picks on this one.  The Puck Huffers beat me to the wacky picks (nice post by the way).  Plus, nice arguments by everyone on the already chosen players...so that being said here are my picks and my brief explanations.  


First some ground rules.  I personally think to be on the AD Team, you have to have a few qualifying things:


-a Stanley Cup

-an individual award (i.e. Art Ross, Conn Smythe)

-a couple of playoff appearances

-success at the international level


Center:  Peter Forsberg


Alright, since this is basically a fantasy team.  I want to set up my fantasy.  Forsberg is totally healthy: no ankle/spleen/wrist/flu/african sleeping sickness.  He’s also shirtless and bearing a whip, but I suppose that’s a different fantasy.  


The argument is simple: when he’s healthy, he’s a beast.  Of course in reality Forsberg is the poster boy for injured reserve.  But the bottom-line is that he makes the people he plays with better.  My grandmother could score 50 goals on a line with Forsberg.  Stats, facts and figures have been tossed around a lot, but I leave you with this.  


"Whoa dudes, I can't feel my spleen!"


Two Stanley Cups, Art Ross Trophy, Calder Memorial Trophy, Hart Memorial Trophy, 7 All-Star selections, 2 Olympic Gold Medals, 2 Gold World Championships...all from a guy who is known for being injured.  


Wings: Jaromir Jagr and Martin St. Louis


Really there is not a lot to be said about Jagr.  Yes, he’s had issues with motivation and temperament (as nicely as I can put it).  But he’s a legend in this sport.  I know his glory years were mainly in the early 90’s, but he also was among the best players in this decade too.  I think that’s more reason to put him on this team.  


I don’t feel the need to list all of his accomplishments, but multiple cups, multiple personal awards, multiple NHL records....he’s a no brainer.


St. Louis is a slightly different story.  I almost picked Iggy, but I had to give the nod to St. Louis. Statistically, the two have similar points to game totals, but Marty’s got the cup.  Plain and simple.


The Pearson is taller than St. Louis


He was a standout college player.  He’s got the Hart, the Art Ross and a Lester B. Pearson Award and an Olympic medal.


Defense: Nik Lidstrom and Scott Niedermayer


I refuse to even make the case for Lidstrom because if you don’t think he belongs on this team, you are plum crazy.  The only question is will the league rename the Norris trophy the “Lidstrom-wins-this-every-year trophy.”  In fact, Lid is the captain of my AD Team.  He’s also the guy who visits children in the hospital and kisses the babies.


Niedermayer is nearly as much of a no-brainer as Lidstrom.  Pronger is left out in the cold for the same reason as Iginla: hasn’t won the big one yet.


Goalie: Marty Brodeur


Seriously, no competition on this one.  As of this writing, Brody has put in the books his 100th career shutout.


I think that Brody may actually be made of metal


Coach: Mike Babcock


Hasn’t been fired in the decade and won the big prize.  His teams end up in the playoffs.


Fighter: Chris Simon


This is a weird one, but go with me on it.  I am lumping fighter/goon/pest into this and I think for my money it’s Chris Simon.  The man is pure evil.  In fact, he’s anti-Lidstrom.  He’s drop kicking babies and unplugging the IV’s of children in the hospital.  Would I want him on my team: no.  Do I think he could kill Sid the Kid: yes.  This guy has a cup!  Can you believe that?  Iggy’s got nothing.  Proof we live in an imperfect world.  


So why is he winning this category in my mind.  8 Suspensions totaling 65 games missed.  He’s missed nearly a full season in suspensions and to my knowledge all the suspensions have occurred in this decade.  So maybe he doesn’t win the fighter award, but he does win the horrible human being award.


Loudmouth: Jeremy Roenick


I *heart* JR.

So that’s the AD Team.  Hope you enjoy them!


--Dre

3 comments:

Chris Kontos said...

Forsberg for the win!!!! And a another one for Marty St. Louis! Suck it Thornton and Jagr!!!

jamestobrien said...

Haha, there might be a few categories that are decided by those polls that were largely ignored (shame, shame).

Also, that dog's fur reminds me of couch fabric.

jamestobrien said...

Question for Dre: Doesn't Forsberg's facial expression seem oddly ... Bobby Chaffin-like? Just saying.